Monday, November 15, 2010

What Happened

       Later Friday evening, went to the bathroom and noticed a bit of blood when I wiped. Don't PANIC. I told myself- some bleeding is normal (although nor for me). I went to bed that night hoping I had just overdone it that day and resolving that I would rest and drink plenty of fluids the next day and it would stop...
      I awoke Saturday to more blood- not spotting, but not too heavy either. I decided to call my OB and get his opinion. He told me to try not to worry- that 1/3 of normal pregnancies have significant bleeding in the first trimester- that I could come in if I wanted to the ER and get an ultrasound, or wait until Monday and come into the office. I decided to wait.
     Sunday morning I woke up to cramps- headed to the bathroom and passed some clots- I knew, without a doubt, this was not normal pregnancy bleeding- my baby had passed...
      I spent 5 hours in the ER and confirmation from the Ultrasound of Doom that my babe had no heartbeat and had stopped developing around 4-5 weeks; my hcg levels were also comparable to a 4-5 wk pregnancy. The doctor asked me if there was anyway my dates could be off, and there isn't.
     I go back tomorrow to get my hormone levels re-checked. So far, my body has been getting rid of the pregnancy on its own- I pray that it continues to do this as I would love to avoid a D&C. I'm trying to return to normal life; I do have peace about the whole situation- peace that surpasses all understanding- but I can't help but think that this tiny life has forever changed me. I'm on "the other-side of the fence," having never experienced a miscarriage before, and praying that God will use it for good (I know he will).

2 comments: