Thursday, October 21, 2010

Letter to an OB-Part 2

Dear Dr. __________________,
        I just wanted to take a moment to say, "Thank you." My son recently turned one, and as I reflect on his birth, words cannot describe how very grateful I am to have had you as my physician. You support women; you support natural birth; you support VBAC; and most thankfully- you supported me! It was so encouraging to hand you my birth vision and hear you say, "Well that's all pretty standard practice for me," instead of having to fight for what I wanted. You base your practice on evidence-based research and allow women to make informed decisions- a refreshingly rare gem within the Cincinnati medical world today. When I received the news that I had Gestational Diabetes and feared my dream of VBAC would be shattered, you again allowed me to take control of my situation and trusted me to monitor my diet instead of labeling me "high-risk." I am positive that if I would have been at any other practice, I would have been bullied into a repeat cesarean instead of achieving my VBAC of a perfectly healthy 7 lb, 7 oz, baby boy. And although you weren't able to be there to "catch " my son- your support and guidance along my journey is what made my VBAC possible.
        Again, I just want to send you encouragement and say, "Thank you." Thank you for what you do for women in Cincinnati and for believing in birth!

Warmly,
Robin Sayers

0 comments:

Post a Comment